venice church

Wednesday, October 22, 2008

A Strange Call


A funny thing happened to me.

I got an interesting call in the church office yesterday. The gal on the other line politely introduced herself and indentified herself as an employee of a California winery. I thought that it was odd to get a call from a winery, but it was your typical sales call with this twist.

She said that my name and number came to her by referral. I said, “That is interesting considering that I don’t drink wine and in fact I have only tasted it a couple of times in my life and didn’t care for it.” She said, “Really? You never drink wine.” I said, “Really I don’t.” She said, “Well, why in the world would somebody give me your name if you are not a wine enthusiast?” I said, “I have no idea unless they either one, do not know me very well, or two, they thought it would be a nice gag. Maybe they thought it would be funny.”

She apologized quite profusely and I said, “No problem. I am sure that one of my friends thought they were being funny. Anyway…have a nice day.” She wished me the same.

I found the entire episode to be quite strange, but extremely humorous.

So, my question today is…which one of you put the winery up to calling your teetotaler pastor? It’s okay. You can admit it and come clean. I won’t be mad. I forgive you. Your sins have already been forgiven…even this one! Your slate is wiped clean. And…we can enjoy a good laugh together.


Upcoming Events:

October 25th – Ladies Community Service Project

October 31st – Trunk & Treat presented by Rockstars Childrens Ministry

November 8th – Men’s Ministry Meeting (Saturday Morning)

November 15th – CLASS 201: Discovering Maturity

December 14th – Guest Speaker: Rev. Bob Henson

December 24th – Christmas Eve Service

No comments: