venice church

Wednesday, March 07, 2007

Let Them Know

Every one of us who is a Christ follower have somebody in our life that played a significant role in pointing us to Christ. One of our assignments this week in our series Just Walk Across the Room is to let them know. We have been challenged to send a card or an email to the person or, in my case, the people that helped us across the line of faith.

I have sent three emails this week and the experience has been rewarding for me and for the folks who lovingly and courageously and persistently pointed me to Jesus Christ. I sent an email to my mom and dad thanking them for never allowing me to live one day without hearing the name of Jesus. I thanked Jerry Thorpe. Jerry is a great preacher and, like me, a preacher's kid. For the better part of my life I have been privileged to hear Jerry preach and most importantly for me, tell his story. You see, Jerry reached his teen years without giving his life to Christ and he literally lived in torment believing that Christ would return without him ever taking Him as Savior. I experienced the same thing. And Amy. It took a tremendous amount of courage on Amy's part to put me over. She stepped up and took Christ as Savior when everybody in our church thought she was already saved. She was a leader in our Youth Group for goodness sake! Her decision to come forward and say, "I have never really given my life to Christ" gave me the courage to do the same. It is not easy for the preacher's kid, who sings in the choir and does "all the right things" to admit that he is not even saved, but I did and it was Amy's courage that put me over.
So I thank them all.

If somebody has played a significant role in your life...let them know.
I pray that somebody will let you know that you helped them across the line as well.
It doesn't get any better than that.

No comments: