venice church

Tuesday, December 18, 2007

Middle Age


The average life span of an American male is 75.2 years. For my money that is long enough. I would rather have 75 good years than 83 with the last three years spent in a bib and a diaper. When you hit 45, like I did today, you may think about your life expectancy occasionally, but you don’t really think about it that often. Expiration is still too far away. There is still a sense of invincibility. I probably should think about it more often, because when you stop and think about being 45 you do realize that you are past middle aged. I hear people talk about middle age beginning like at 50 or something. If our life expectancy is 75.2 that means that middle age begins at 37.6. That was a long time ago now. Let’s be real. For an American male, whose dietary pyramid consists of bacon and eggs, In N Out Burger, Tito’s Tacos, and Cold Stone Creamery, 50 is near death. When you tack on being a fan of the Dallas Cowboys you can mark off a few more years. It is hard on the heart.

The weird thing is that I don’t feel 45. I certainly do not act 45 most days…more like 12! (I got Guitar Hero III for my birthday with the KISS faceplate.) I am enjoying life. When you think about the alternatives why would you be miserable? Life is too short. I plan to enjoy the rest of my “past middle aged” years with my “past middle aged” wife. (A woman’s life expectancy in America is 80.1!) She is a young 45. I can barely keep up with the pace that she is setting. God is good…especially at 45.

No comments: